For 4 decades we have served seasonal café food inside of a bookstore. It is a unique place for our customers to experience a new way of looking at food and literature, we nourish body and mind. Our origins are from using the best ingredients to create delicious, seasonal salads, soups and sandwiches. We believe our choices have an impact on our customers and employees. Our mission is to grow our community through training employees to be leaders that have a passion for a sustainable outlook on life and making choices that are better for everyone.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Kitchen Director oversees the kitchen operations of Atticus Café. To maintain the highest level of quality of food and sanitation by teaching, training and motivating kitchen staff. The Kitchen Director is expected to perform the jobs of daily food preparation and new recipe development, maintain par levels, quality control, sanitation of the Atticus Cafe, and coordination of vendor relationships and daily orders.
- Responsible for training the Atticus kitchen team and creating a welcoming environment
- Responsible for the accurate, excellent and creative food experience at the Café
- Assist in hiring and scheduling of kitchen staff
- Assist with ordering of all food and equipment for kitchen
- Assist in creating specials
- Lead production of all menu items
- Organize and maintain par system of Chabaso and vendor products, based on sales needs
- Maintain food cost goals
- Maintain organization of food storage, meet sanitation and cleanliness standards
- Maintain station cleanliness throughout shift
- Create and enforce cleaning schedules of kitchen
- Participate in the execution of recommended programs, menu changes, and policy adjustments
- Deliver informative feedback to supervisor to ensure high quality food, service, and sanitation
- Performs related duties as required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar or a logical assignment to the position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High School Diploma/GED is required; culinary school education is preferred.
- One to two years of related experience in a production kitchen is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles and practices of cooking and food preparation is required.
- Certified in ServSafe Sanitation required.
- Ability to read and follow recipes of a variety of food and prepared meals.
- Ability to be available for work outside of normal working hours.
- Self-directed; able to work without consistent supervision.
- Attention to detail, processes, and urgent timing aspects.
- Must have organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage stressful, busy seasons throughout the year.
Mental and physical requirements:
The Physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to perform continuous bending, twisting, stooping, reaching, climbing and lifting of moderate to heavy weight material up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work standing for extended periods of time up to 12 hours daily.
- Must be able work in consistently warm to hot environment around ovens.
- Is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to keep his/her composure with the public and co-workers in everyday, stressful work situations.