For four decades we have served seasonal café food inside of a bookstore. It is a unique place for our customers to experience a new way of looking at food and literature, we nourish body and mind. Our origins are from using the best ingredients to create delicious, seasonal salads, soups and sandwiches. We believe our choices have an impact on our customers and employees. Our mission is to grow our community through training employees to be leaders that have a passion for a sustainable outlook on life and making choices that are better for everyone.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Café Manager is the bedrock of our culture in the Café. You are responsible for the full experience of guests and Café team members. You are passionate about people and creating a space where lifelong friendships are made. achieve this through performing a variety of duties to manage all operations and activities of the Cafe including maintaining revenue, profitability and quality goals. Ensure efficient Cafe operation, as well as maintain high production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards. Responsible for the selection, hiring, training and discipline of Cafe staff.
Operations & Administration-
- Develop and implement procedures and recommend related policies for effective/efficient operations of the Cafe.
- Train and ensure superior guest services are delivered and ensure absolute customer satisfaction.
- Respond efficiently to customer complaints.
- Enforce and offer the best quality food and beverage products available.
- Schedule, organize and supervise shifts.
- Estimate consumption, forecast requirements and maintain inventory.
- Track compliance with sanitation and safety rules and regulations.
- Meet food and labor goals through controlling costs and keeping waste to a minimum.
- Successfully promote and publicize the Atticus brand.
- Nurture a positive working environment and lead by example as Café Manager.
- Process all requests made via email; work closely with Chabaso office staff to maintain communication between companies and all employees.
- Ensure adequate staffing for the Cafe and assign daily tasks to employees.
- Ensure training and development of employees in quality operations with the highest level of customer service.
- Evaluate employee performance and take corrective actions as required.
- Foster a positive, team based working environment where employees feel comfortable discussing issues and offering ideas.
Sales, Marketing and Merchandising-
- Set sales goals. Monitor and report sales trends of daily, weekly, monthly and goal attainment to owner.
- In collaboration with Owner assists in designing menu.
- In collaboration with Owner, discontinue menu choices that are not successful. Seek new menu choices that fit the Atticus brand and culture.
Purchasing & Inventory Management-
- Submit orders as required to maintain adequate inventory of stocked items. Ensure inventory cycle counts are performed accurately and regularly. Order all food, beverage and unrelated merchandise for the Cafe.
- Review industry news, reviews, websites, and articles to make purchasing decisions, keeping up with current trends. Meet with food and beverage vendor representatives to establish effective relationships with providers.
- Performs related duties as required. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar or a logical assignment to the position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Associate’s degree in Hospitality, Culinary or other related discipline is required.
- Three to five years of experience in managing a restaurant in a high volume setting is required.
- Minimum of two years supervisory experience is required.
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills. Able to initiate and increase efficiency of operations.
- Strong menu development and selection experience is required.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in day to-day duties.
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational ability to encourage employees to work hard to produce results and attain company goals and sales targets.
- Demonstrated knowledge of customer service principles and processes and to train others to provide quality services. Ability to work directly with the public and with people coming from a variety of cultures.
- Demonstrated computer skills, website management skills, and inventory program management.
- Excellent math and accounting skills, as well as -cash handling ability
- Solid problem solving, independent judgment and critical thinking skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage stressful, busy seasons throughout the year.
- Solid written and verbal communication, listening, organization and priority setting skills.
- Ability to keep up-to- date in industry and apply new knowledge.
Mental and physical requirements:
The Physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position regularly performs work in a food and beverage service environment (often involving evening and weekend hours) where individual is exposed to heat, chemicals and hazards.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Frequently is required to walk and sit.
- Frequently is required to stand; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Work is performed in an office setting, including warehouse environment.
- Ability to maintain his/her composure with the public and co-workers in everyday, stressful and emergency situations.